Chaptico may be Algonquian for “big-broad-river-it-is” and related to the friendly Chaptico tribe visited by Gov. Charles Calvert in 1663. The town was a shipping point until the Wicomico River silted up in the 18th century. It was damaged by the British in 1813, during the War of 1812. Some of its prominent citizens were pro-Southern and jailed during the Civil War.
Chaptico has a number of properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including Bachelor’s Hope, Christ Episcopal Church, and Deep Falls. Nearby are Maryland International Raceway, Budds Creek Raceway, and the golf course community of Wicomico Shores.
During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church and desecrating its cemetery. Several members of the Francis Scott Key family are buried in the Key Family vault. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places. Over its 300-plus years, Christ Church has offered the people of Southern Maryland a place of spiritual comfort, connection, and renewal.
Recreation and Parks – Chaptico Park
Other phases may include equestrian trails and riding rings, hiking trails, basketball courts, tennis courts, and baseball fields – depending upon future funding availability. Also, the Southern Maryland BMX group, a private, non-profit organization, is managing and operating the BMX track in the park; please contact Holly Borror at (240) 925-7239 for additional information on the BMX track. Citizens are encouraged to visit the Southern Maryland BMX website for information on events, schedules, race results and information for new participants.