The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning consumers about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation associated with the use of OKEAH combination smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. The detectors can fail to alert consumers to the presence of hazardous carbon monoxide and smoke. More than 200 people in the United States die every year from accidental, non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products. In addition, most fatalities in residential fires are due to smoke inhalation, rather than heat and flames. In typical residential fire scenarios, there may be as little as one or two minutes to escape after the smoke alarm sounds before the conditions in the home become incapacitating or deadly. More than 2,390 people in the United States die every year from residential structure fires. Furthermore, the risk of dying in a fire is twice as high in homes without a working smoke alarm (1.18 per 1,000), as compared to homes with smoke alarms (0.53 per 1,000). If a combination smoke and CO detector that does not alert to the presence of an elevated level of carbon monoxide or smoke is installed in a home, and carbon monoxide or smoke enters […]
The post CPSC Warns to Immediately Stop Using OKEAH Digital Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors appeared first on Southern Maryland News Net.
Source: https://smnewsnet.comNew feed
Be First to Comment